A book review of Samantha Sotto's "Before Ever After"
![]() |
I really am not a fan of love
stories in novels. I got to read this book, however, due to the recommendation
of my friend, Allana, who lent me a copy. I was also fascinated by the fact that its author is a
Filipina.
“Before Ever After” is a story of a
woman who had lost her husband in a terrible accident and three years after
finds herself confronted by another man, who claims to be the grandson of his
late husband. Paolo, an Italian editor of American coffee table books, one day
comes knocking into Shelley’s door and shows her pictures of her late husband,
Max.
Paolo tells her that Max, whom
Shelley knew was dead for three years, is actually alive and well and is in
fact, Paolo’s grandfather. Shelley is both overwhelmed and confused with the
man in her midst but much more perplexed by the two realities she has yet to
come to terms with. Shelley and Paolo then go to a trip to solve a puzzle they
both know might ruin their pasts and complicate the present.
I dare not tell the ending because
that is actually what kept my interest until the end. Upon reading the hanging
synopsis at the back of the book, I really had no idea how it will end or even
how the story would go.
As I started with the first few
chapters, I felt like I was watching a movie – sort of a combination of the
films “If Only”, “P.S. I Love You” and “Bridget Jones Diary”. It was way too
melodramatic for me, too theatrical even so I had to remind myself that,
although I didn’t adore love stories as much, I still had to give the book a
chance.
But the story gets interesting when
Shelley meets Paolo and receives the shocking information that her dead husband
is actually alive. On their journey together to meet Max, Shelley tells Paolo
of how she and Max had met. And this boy-meets-girl tale really made the story
more real, vivid, frustrating at times, exhilarating but surprisingly poignant.
Shelley tells her of the group tour in Europe she impulsively joined.
Coincidentally, this tour was organized by Max.
Max, Shelley and a small bunch of
tourists travel around the beautiful towns and cities in Europe, exploring the
less explored and having the most unusual and unexpected times of their lives.
If it were a real tour, I would’ve
probably joined them. I am not fond of cities. I prefer to experience the culture,
the history of a place, its uncommon spots. I’d rather live in a traditional
house than stay in a five-star hotel. And that’s exactly why I enjoyed most
parts of the book. I liked the way it somehow brought me closer to those places
I could only dream of, even if some were fictional, I guess.
I think the highlights of the book
were supposed to be focused on the stories behind the places that Max narrated
to them during their travels. However, what I did was to picture these places
in my mind and imagine how it would feel being there and hearing Max’s stories,
as well.
Max shares stories of love,
foolishness, youth, irrationality, fear, insanity, urgency, patience,
courage, uncertainty, monsters, death, salvation and of realities and truths
that are inevitably harder to live with than to accept.
The stories are as philosophical as
it is practical in our life experiences. I was amazed though at the author's creativity
and very detailed accounts of Max’s stories. Although at the latter part of
their tour, I got a bit bored because I was so anxious of the ending, I still
tried to grasp the significance of each of their adventures. It also got
confusing at times because the stories of the past (which narrates the European
tour by Max with the tour group including Shelley) was alternately placed with
the story of the present (Paolo and Shelley’s trip to meet Max).
The end of Shelley and Paolo’s long
distance travel brings them to the Philippines, in the charming and calm island
in Boracay…in that small island where they are going to meet Max.
I leave you the liberty to read the
ending yourselves. It’d probably be more exciting than me telling it here.
Anyways, the ending is somehow
surprising although I got hints halfway through the book. But I think I still
liked how it ended.
Although I think this is the
longest time it took me to finish reading a book, I still found it worthwhile. It was
generally a refreshing break from all my thriller reads. It
just felt bothersome how the book seemingly drowned in adjectives and figures
of speech. But as a whole, I still enjoyed reading it and would perhaps
recommend it to friends.
I am also proud of the book’s
author, Samantha Sotto, who was able to get into the Western literature market.
There are a lot of exceptional writers and novelists in the country and I hope
their works do get the same attention. But in essence, for
me, for the love of literature, getting published by huge publishing houses
doesn’t really matter as much as the readers getting more from the book than
the author had originally intended.
In one way or another, I guess the
book gave me something else. I don’t know if it’s a compliment for the author
and her book but I know that what I got from the book is something significant.
I think the way to appreciate these
kinds of books is to delve deeper into every encounter each page strikes you
with. Maybe that’s how I got to appreciate the book despite the recurrence of
romance and amorous sentimentality.
It could be very escapist in some
ways but still a good read. A fascinating read indeed.

No comments:
Post a Comment