(A book review of Susanna Kaysen's Girl, Interrupted)
![]() |
| Girl, Interrupted |
The first quarter of this book
reminded me so much of the first episode in season 6 of House MD, the critically-acclaimed American television series, and
a personal favorite.
The book basically tells the story
of a teenage girl who spent two years in a psychiatric hospital, which was
renowned for housing several personalities in their own special fields
including Sylvia Plath, Robert Lowell, James Taylor and Ray Charles. Her
experiences in the psychiatric ward for teenage girls unfolded in detail and
with overwhelming surges of both sanity and insanity, and the many underlying
presumptions and truths about freedom and confinement.
She starts by describing each
patient in the ward in a way that will make your imagination more real about
how people in these kinds of situations suffer. If I had not been previously
exposed to these kinds of illnesses and much more if I wasn’t interested in
psychology, I would’ve probably cringed at every story she told of how these
people stayed consistent with their diagnoses.
One thing I noticed from the book
is how she tried to describe the other patients in the ward as somewhat being
in a lower level as compared to her, sanity-wise. She talked of their
attitudes, their looks and most importantly she defined their behavior, in a
way that made them seem more erratic than she is; they misbehaved the way their
disorders are defined while she stood witness to all of these, feeling both
misdiagnosed and pathetic but sometimes pitiful and contemptuous towards them.
But why? The reason she remembers
of being brought to the hospital was the time she tried to kill herself. If the
other patients tried suicide by burning themselves or putting themselves in
utter danger, she, on the other hand, decided that her 18-year old self should
die by swallowing 50 tablets of aspirin. Here’s one of my favorite parts in the
book where she talked about suicide and her attempt at it.
Suicide is a form of murder – premeditated murder. It isn’t something
you do the first time you think of doing it. It takes getting used to. And you
need the means, the opportunity, the motive. A successful suicide demands good
organization and a cool head, both of which are usually incompatible with the
suicidal state of mind.
It’s important to cultivate detachment. One way to do this is to
practice imagining yourself dead, or in the process of dying. If there’s a
window, you must imagine your body falling out the window. If there’s a knife,
you must imagine the knife piercing your skin. If there’s a train coming, you
must imagine your torso flattened under its wheels. These exercises are
necessary to achieving the proper distance.
The motive is paramount. Without a strong motive, you’re sunk.
My motives were weak: an American-history paper I didn’t want to write
and the question I’d asked months earlier, Why not kill myself? Dead, I
wouldn’t have to write the paper. Nor would I have to keep debating the
question.
The debate was wearing me out. Once you’ve posted that question, it
won’t go away. I think many people kill themselves simply to stop the debate
about whether they will or they won’t…
Actually, it was only part of myself I wanted to kill, the part that
wanted to kill herself, that dragged me into the suicide debate and maybe every
window, kitchen implement, and subway station a rehearsal for tragedy. I didn’t
figure this out, though, until after I’d swallowed the fifty aspirin.
Honestly,
this part made so much impact to me and stirred a lot of feelings. Our minds
can be so treacherous and even gets the best of us. I really have so much to
say about suicide and these few paragraphs by the author stirred a lot of
emotions within and everything else connected to suicide.
In
the Philippines, most people don’t like to be identified as someone who
received or is currently receiving some sort of special psychological attention
or to be more specific, therapy. I know of some friends and a handful of people
who have their shrinks and once in a
while get admitted in psychiatric wards for their disorders. And they always
have a difficult time telling their friends or relatives about it, afraid of
judgment, rejection, or worse, isolation.
Anyway, the
girl, after two years in the hospital, was finally released. After her
occasional face scratching, too much wrist banging and few fights in the ward,
she was out.
“I can honestly say that my
misery has been transformed into common unhappiness, so by Freud’s definition I
have achieved mental health. And my discharge sheet, at line 41, Outcome with
Regards to Mental Disorder, reads ‘Recovered’.”
And as proven
by the book, there was always something notable about her, not in behavior but
in paper. She stayed in a psychiatric ward and her records had it. There was no
way of escaping no matter how “psychologically fit” she was. And this is really
one of the saddest and most unfair things in the world. She was rejected at job
applications and was often tagged as somewhat different.
The girl’s diagnosis revealed that she actually had
Borderline Personality. She had difficulty admitting it to herself and wanted a
more biological illness, so that she could blame it to chemistry or to
something that can’t be cured, something she could not have done anything
about.
“It appears to be way station between neurosis and psychosis: a
fractured but not disassembled psyche. Though to quote my post-Melvin
psychiatrist: “it’s what they call people whose lifestyles bother them.”
And
this diagnosis always got to her and her life. At the end of the book, she
describes her older self as more aware and somehow mature, with a rich
boyfriend on the side. But her past would haunt her at the most trying times.
This time I read the title of the painting:
Girl Interrupted at Her Music.
Interrupted at her music as my life had been, interrupted in the music
of being seventeen, as her life had been, snatched and fixed on canvas: one
moment made to stand still and to stand for all the other moments, whatever
they would be or might have been. What life can recover from that?
I had something to tell her now. “I see you,” I said.
My boyfriend found me crying in the hallway.
“What’s the matter with you?” he asked.
“Don’t you see, she’s trying to get out,” I sad, pointing at her.
He looked at the painting, he looked at me, and he said, “All you ever
think about is yourself. You don’t understand anything about art.” He went off
to look at a Rembrandt."
I am not an
expert on psychological disorders, suicides and whatnot. But sometimes, the
world forgets that we are all imprefect and that we cannot ignore the
inevitable feelings within us, whether it be good or bad. And as one of my
favorite lines from the movie “Bride Wars” goes, "You’re only human. You
don’t have to have it together every minute of every day." Sometimes what
some people need is not an advice or some sort of preaching; sometimes a little
compassion and understanding could make a whole lot of a difference.
This book could be seen as sad
or even disturbing but with the author's first hand experiences, it gives us a
little light and pocketful of hope towards people who might’ve lost themselves
in a place where sanity becomes a luxury and the mind becomes the playground.
P.S. The girl in the story is actually the author of the book, Susanna Kaysen. She was admitted at Mclean Hospital on April 27, 1967 and stayed there for two years. The book also included copies of her hospital records which made the book even more real but equally haunting.
P.S. The girl in the story is actually the author of the book, Susanna Kaysen. She was admitted at Mclean Hospital on April 27, 1967 and stayed there for two years. The book also included copies of her hospital records which made the book even more real but equally haunting.
*hoping the
watch the movie soon ^______^

No comments:
Post a Comment