Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Beautiful, Dangerous Mind

A book review of Thomas Harris' The Silence of the Lambs


Just a disclaimer, I was able to watch the movie before I got hold of the book. I guess there is always a little less imagination and a little bit of a bias whenever you read a story you’ve already watched. Less imagination -- because you just can’t help but think of the characters in the movie while reading about them in the book; and more bias because you already associate the characters in the book with how they were portrayed in the movie.

Anyway, I was extremely thrilled when I bought this book along with its sequel. Just how I usually get bored with the first few chapters of a book, I had to resort to remembering all the characters being presented at first. The story basically resolves around a case about a serial killer called Buffalo Bill who targets women and leaves them floating in some river with their skins peeled off. The FBI remained stalled, with very little progress in the case until Behavioral Section Chief Jack Crawford summoned an FBI trainee, Clarice Starling, to talk to a former psychiatrist who is now in a prison asylum and is known for eating his victims –the infamous Dr. Hannibal Lecter, or Hannibal the Cannibal. Crawford was hoping that Dr. Lecter would shed some light to the Buffalo Bill case knowing his psychiatric background and the likeness or somewhat consistency in serial murderers known for their unusual trademarks in killing.

Some may think the book is gruesome because of the “Hannibal” but it really is like watching a very intense, deeply psychological, neurotic even, and extremely creepy episode of CSI or Bones. The characters get into your head, the thoughts and gestures of Dr. Lecter haunt your imagination. It makes you feel like you’re in the same room as Starling and Lecter – watching them reveal a little bit about each other with Starling cautious with what to say and Lecter driving you crazy with the uncertainty and fear he induces from the conversation. It is reveling in a way that it makes you think, makes you hope for something good from Starling. It is also distressing, frustrating at times because of how Lecter makes you feel like he is always, ironically, in control of the situation.

Thomas Harris is a literary genius. He has woven these characters into the events that transpired with wit, tension, fear, anticipation, psychosis, remarkable intelligence and a great deal of courage. I was also curious how things ended in the book although I already knew how things ended essentially. But Harris was still able to create the suspense as the book finishes. I guess it would’ve been more surprising, thrilling for others who have read the book first. But I was still in awe when I was almost finishing the book. I remember waking up early in the morning (which is unusual for me) and reading this book until a little about 2pm. I only stopped when I felt my tummy grumbling and pleading for food. And I only had 75 more pages to go. When I finally reached the last few pages I was trying hard to breathe because even if I knew what was going to happen, Harris’ way of narrating the ending was curiously exciting, tremendously nerve-wrecking.

Well, I guess I’ve said so much but this was really a positively crazy but amazing read for me. And whenever I hear or read about this book, I’d probably remember two statements that have left an impact on me. While Clarice returned to the first victim’s home and tried to find clues again from her room, the author noted this:

“Nothing makes us more vulnerable than loneliness except greed.”

And yes, it is true, whether it be on television or in books, greed makes us vulnerable, irrational and it always, always gets the best of us. And all the major characters I believe became greedy at some point. Jack Crawford was working hard to solve the case and even sent a trainee to talk to a psychotic serial killer even if he knew that Clarice’s life and mental well-being could likely be in danger. Clarice was also trying hard to solve the case and prove herself that she had to put her life on the line and become vulnerable to Lecter’s mind. Buffalo Bill, on the other hand, is an epitome of this statement. He had to kill because of greed, because of something he could not have but wanted to so badly. He became vulnerable to both pleasure and pain without knowing the differences between the two. Lastly, Hannibal Lecter became both vulnerable and powerful because of greed. He talked to Clarice, giving her ideas and clues because he wanted to know about her, about the silence of the lambs. He told stories about Buffalo Bill, which helped Clarice in solving the case but he also used this power about such information to get what he wanted. He really is a madman, a killer but severely intelligent and always equipped with vulnerabilities he covers in wit and he eventually reveals through his neurosis and greed.

Lastly, this statement is I guess really the most important and most chilling revelation of the whole story. While talking to Clarice about Buffalo Bill, Lecter asked her:
“What does he do, Clarice? What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing? He covets. How do we begin to covet? We begin by coveting what we see every day.” 

We covet what we see everyday. And all human beings do this. And not only do we do this but we also covet what we think we need because we see them everyday. We yearn for things, qualities, details, feelings and even people because we always think we deserve better. And yes we do, but in coveting, we become slaves of something we have not even gotten hold of but has already driven as to greed, emptiness, loathing, dissatisfaction, decadence and at times, madness.

I always have something to say about how a book’s less than positive points but I didn’t find it in this one. Although I was bored in the beginning, the whole unraveling of minds and mystery of the story made up for it. This is definitely going to my 'favorite books' bookshelf. *grins*

No comments:

Post a Comment