Wednesday, May 15, 2013

a letter to facebook friends in their teens and pre-teens


Dear youngsters,

Please stop talking about forever, about true love, about your angsts in your relationships and anything and everything about love EVERY single *insert curse word here* day.

Well, it’s true that some of the greatest love stories started out with teenagers being infatuated and eventually getting married after 10 years or so of being together, but please, stop posting every feeling you have whether it be good or bad (worse if it’s bad) every minute of each day towards your boyfriend/girlfriend. It’s annoying basically and just so you know, by doing this, the decline of your social media personality becomes congruent to the decay of your emotional maturity.

It’s actually nice to see couples commenting or complementing each other or showing their love for each other in the social media but it feels suffocating for others to see that out of 100 statuses, 99% is about your relationship. Sometimes, you just have to keep some things to yourself especially if it involves a problem between the two of you. You don’t always have to brag to the world that you’re so happy in your relationship; the world would just notice and compliment you for it. You don’t have tell the world either that you’re having problems with your relationship because only 5% of your facebook friends actually care, 30% are secretly happy that you’re miserable and the rest are just there because they have no choice. Do us a favor, stop doing that. You can be vague, yes, but please don’t make every status that you post sound like you’re prepping up a romantic novel consisting purely of puns and metaphors and a hundred or so emoticons.

Psychologists suggest that the social media has become a great tool for people to express themselves or vent out pent up feelings inside them. It’s been proven, yes. But personally, it’s irritating to see your wall flooded by these emo and cliché lines that make you cringe just at the sight of a heart or a hashtag in almost every word they type.

I have nothing against love or couples, it’s just that you also have to consider that people are actually seeing these mushy posts every single time they scroll down the webpage. Some would say that if you don’t like what they’re posting, just ignore it or better yet, unfriend them. I think the latter would be rude in many cases so I’m just posting this and hope every youngster out there gets to read this.
Please, kids. Please, please, please. There’s a lot more to the world than just facebook. Hit the books. For now, I’ll try to understand you and extend my patience as I’ve extended the time pressing the pagedown button every time I see your love posts. Also, I know things will make more sense someday for you. Your pre-frontal cortex isn’t fully developed yet so I’ll somehow have to accept your irrationalities and impulsiveness for now. But I hope you get to read this. The world doesn’t revolve around you nor does it revolve around your boyfriend or your relationship. Please, get a life and live it well. 

On a lighter note...here's something I read in psycomedy.com...very apt. 

Father: Doctor, I’d like you to evaluate my 13 year-old son.
Doctor: Ok, he’s suffering from a transient psychosis with an intermittent rage disorder, punctuated by episodic radical mood swings, but his prognosis is good for full recovery.
Father: How can you say all that without even meeting him?
Doctor: “I thought you said he’s 13?”

No comments:

Post a Comment